650 Chinese cities are rushing to construct their safe city platforms by fusing Internet, video surveillance cameras, cell phones, GPS location data and biometric technologies into central public safety meta-systems. A few examples include:
- Sichuan Province is spending $4.2 billion on its safe city project including a network of 500,000 surveillance cameras.
- Guangdong Province “Safe City Corridor” project will be based on a 1,000,000 camera surveillance systems at an estimated cost of over $6 Billion.
- Beijing municipal government is seeking to place cameras in all entertainment venues, adding 400,000 surveillance cameras to the bundle of 300,000 cameras that were installed for the 2008 Olympics.
- Urumqi, the capital of Xinjiang, where almost 200 people died in the July 2009 riots, installed 40,000 surveillance cameras as part of an ongoing safe city project.
- The Safe City project of Guangzhou, one of the main export and manufacturing hubs, will include 270,000 surveillance cameras